Contact: Wendy Haase, Director of Tourism Marketing
IRVINE RESIDENTS ASKED TO SHARE THEIR HOMETOWN PRIDE WITH VISITORS
Participating Residents Have a Chance to Win Restaurant Gift Certificates
Irvine, Calif. April 25, 2013 - Destination Irvine in conjunction with National Travel & Tourism Week, May 4-12, is asking Irvine residents to share their hometown pride with visitors. Residents are being encouraged to leave a comment on www.destinationirvine.com/irvinepride that tells visitors why their hometown is the best place to visit and share their favorite, not-to-be-missed activity, event, etc. in Irvine.
"Whether it's shopping at the Irvine Spectrum Center, drinking a sea salt coffee from 85°C Bakery or hiking Boomer Canyon; whatever residents love to do in Irvine, chances are visitors will enjoy it too," said Wendy Haase, Director of Tourism Marketing, Destination Irvine.
"Through this initiative, we hope to garner ideas and suggestions that will further enhance our destination marketing efforts," added Haase.
Residents submitting a comment will be entered to win gift certificates from various Irvine restaurants including, 6ix Park Grill, Andrei's Conscious Cuisine & Cocktails, Chakra Creative Indian Cuisine, Luna Grill, Paradise Restaurant, Paul Martin's American Grill and Seasons 52.
• Comments are welcome between now and May 12, 2013.
• Comments must be positive and contain no vulgarity. This is an opportunity to share what you love to do in Irvine, not to gripe about politics, etc.
• Public posting of comments submitted are the discretion of Destination Irvine.
• Those submitting a comment must include an email address. These are not made public, but used to contact you if you are a winner.
• Submit a comment as often as you like.
• Duplicate comments will not be posted nor count toward the random drawing.
• Comments become property of Destination Irvine and can/will be used in marketing materials including Visitors Guide, website and social media channels along with public relations (press releases).
• Comments should be from Irvine residents only.
• Winner(s) will be selected the week of May 13, 2013 and notified by email.
What is National Travel & Tourism Week?
The first full week of May is annually recognized as National Travel and Tourism Week, a tradition first celebrated in 1984. Localized events are presented in cities, states and travel businesses nationwide to champion the power of travel. It was established as National Tourism Week when the U.S. Congress passed a joint resolution in 1983 designating the week to be celebrated in May. In a White House ceremony, President Ronald Reagan signed a Presidential Proclamation urging citizens to observe the week with "the appropriate ceremonies and activities."
Since its establishment, the U.S. travel community has collectively marked the event in a number of creative ways, from staging local rallies and conducting media outreach to securing proclamations and resolutions from local legislative bodies.
Importance of Tourism to Irvine
The visitor industry plays an influential role in shaping Irvine's economy, attracting more than one million domestic and international travelers annually for business and leisure.
In 2011*, visitors spent $498.9 on accommodations, dining, arts, entertainment, recreation, shopping and transportation; this is an increase of 6.4 percent over 2010.
Tourism industry spending supports approximately 5,340 jobs in Irvine and is responsible for adding $177.3 million in wages.
In addition, the tourism industry contributes $27.4 million in local and state taxes.
*2012 figures available in May 2013.
About Destination Irvine
Under the Irvine Chamber of Commerce, a non-profit 501(c) 6, Destination Irvine, funded by a self-imposed assessment tax through a Hotel Improvement District (H.I.D.), positions Irvine as a destination for visitors, meetings and groups. Destination Irvine through direct sales efforts including database marketing, lead generation, trade show participation, and familiarization tours, sells the destination. In addition, Destination Irvine promotes Irvine through marketing, advertising and public relations efforts.