Irvine Fact Sheet
What is the population of Irvine? Irvine's population is 328,284.
How big is Irvine? Irvine covers an area of nearly 66 square miles. It’s the 72nd largest city in the United States.
What is the main demographic of Irvine? As per the 2021 U.S. Census Bureau, Irvine is composed of 44.9% Caucasian, 43.6% Asian, 7% two or more races, 1.5% Black or African American, 10.7% Hispanic or Latino, 0.4% Native Hawaiian or Other Hispanic Islander, 0.2% American Indian/Alaska Native and 38.3% other.
Where is Irvine? Irvine is located in the center of Orange County, Calif., Irvine is just 45 miles south of Los Angeles and 90 miles north of San Diego. The center of the city is only 7 miles from the Pacific Ocean.
What is the average temperature in Irvine? Irvine's average temperature in January is 56 degrees and the average temperature in August is 71 degrees. Precipitation averages 10-13 inches per year.
How do you get to Irvine? Whether traveling by air, train, bus or car, Irvine is conveniently located near Interstates 5 and 405, as well as Routes 73 and 55. The Irvine Transportation Center offers Amtrak and Metrolink service.
What airport serves Irvine? John Wayne Airport (SNA) - Located less than five minutes from the majority of Irvine's hotels, the airport is served by commercial and commuter airlines, including Alaska, American, Delta, Frontier, JetSuiteX, Southwest, United, and WestJet.
How much of Irvine is preserved as parks, natural open space and trails? More than 1/3 of the city.
How many miles of off-street bicycle trails in Irvine? 61+ miles
How many miles of on-street bicycle trails in Irvine? 300+ miles
How many acres of open space does Irvine have? There are 16,500 acres of open space, trails, parks and NCCP land (Natural Community Conservation Plan) in and around Irvine, the most in Orange County!
- Regional Parks 1
- Community Parks 23
- Neighborhood Parks and Vista Points 41
- Athletic Fields 146
- Sports Fields 188 acres + Orange County Great Park 194-Acre Sports Complex
- Open Space/Greenbelts 6,500 acres
- Streetscape 933 acres
- Trees 79,729
- Missions, cattle grazing, and agriculture were once the main activities in the Irvine area.
- Irvine hosted the first National Boy Scout Jamboree on the West Coast in 1953.
- Irvine is one of the nation's largest planned urban communities.
What year was Irvine incorporated as a city? December 28, 1971.
What university is located in Irvine? University of California, Irvine
What famous people are from Irvine? Will Ferrell, Jon Lovitz and Nasim Pedrad
What films and television series were filmed in Irvine? Television Series - HBO's Ballers, Rosewood, Criminal Minds,The Player; Television Reality - Shark Tank, Farmers' Market Flip, Real Estate Wars, Happily Ever After (seasons 1 and 2), Real Housewives of Orange County, The Bachelor, Total Divas, HBO's Hard Knocks; Feature Films - Chips, Horrible Bosses 2,The Hangover, art III, Zero Dark Thirty
What is Irvine's room tax? 10%
What is Irvine's sales tax 7.75%
How many hotels are in Irvine? 22
How many hotel rooms are in Irvine? 4,891
How many square feet of hotel meeting space in Irvine? 190,964 sq. ft.
Marriott Irvine Spectrum
Courtyard by Marriott - Irvine Spectrum
Residence Inn - Airport
Hilton Garden Inn
|164||Hampton Inn & Suites|
Courtyard by Marriott - Airport
Extended Stay America
La Quinta Inn & Suites
Sonesta Simply Suites Orange County - Spectrum Center
Residence Inn - Irvine Spectrum
What sports venues are located in Irvine? Orange County Great Park Sports Complex and Great Park Ice & FivePoint Arena, Bren Events Center and William Woollett Jr. Aquatic Center
What shopping centers are located in Irvine? Irvine Spectrum Center and The Market Place
What golf courses are located in Irvine? Oak Creek Golf Course, Rancho San Joaquin Golf Course, and Strawberry Farms Golf Club
What attractions are in Irvine? Barclay Theatre, Irvine Historical Museum, Irvine Museum, Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks, Northwood Gratitude and Honor Memorial, Orange County Great Park, Pretend City Children's Museum, Tanaka Farms
What Orange County attractions are near Irvine?
What accolades has Irvine received?
- Irvine ranked 6th (only California city in top 10) among 100 U.S. cities for parks quality and access in the 2019 ParkScore Index conducted by The Trust for Public Land.
- Irvine Among Best Cities to Raise a Family in the United States (ranked 9th WalletHub)
- Irvine Ranked No. 1 in Fiscal Strength by Truth in Accounting since 2016.
- Niche ranked Irvine the #10 "Best City to Live in America." (2017)
- WalletHub ranked Irvine #3 among the "10 Happiest Cities in the United States." (2017)
- Money Magazine named Irvine #20 of 50 "America's Best Small Cities" to live. (2016)
- Livability.com named Irvine a 10 Best College Town, 2016
- Top 10 Green Towns to Visit! FlipKey by TripAdvisor
- The 10 Best Cities for an Active Retirement by EVELO (2016) (Irvine ranked #1)
- Top 100 Best Places to Live 2016 by Livability.com
- Irvine has been rated "America's Safest Big City" by the FBI crime ranking of cities over 100,000 in population every year since 2005
- 2015 "City Livability Award" by The United States Conference of Mayors.