Learn about Irvine's history and be inspired exploring the varied artworks at Irvine's museums from plein air paintings, sculptures, mixed media and more.
Located in the San Joaquin Ranch House, the museum was commissioned by James Irvine in 1868 and considered the oldest standing structure within the original boundaries of Irvine Ranch. Built for $1,300, the home was the first wooden house to be erected between Anaheim and San Diego. A research library and extensive photo collection of local historic information are available.
Irvine Ranch Historic Park is a 16.5 acre special use park that retains 24 original ranch structures that represent the proud agricultural history of Orange County and, specifically, the Irvine Ranch. It was once one of the world’s greatest producers of Valencia oranges, and a leader in dry farming and livestock.
The University Art Gallery has a long history with UC-Irvine’s Department of Art. It has thus served as a laboratory that presents the creative research of the students and faculty to the public. It is an experimental space exhibiting mixed media art, promoting active dialogue with international art communities through conferences, visiting artist lectures and theme-based film series, all of which are open to the public.
Langson IMCA considers what constitutes California Art and seeks to share the stories of artists and their artmaking in informed, inclusive, and just ways, ensuring that a diversity of voices and lived experiences are presented. Langson IMCA’s holdings currently include over 4,500 works representing a wide array of genres and mediums that span late 19th century California Impressionism and plein air painting to Post-War and contemporary art.