Nestled against foothills near the Irvine Spectrum Center, the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater is an OC favorite for enjoying concerts under the stars in an intimate outdoor setting. A local landmark for concert enthusiasts since the 80's, many longtime locals saw Ozzy, Michael Jackson, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page perform back when the venue was Irvine Meadows.
It's always reminded me of a more casual version of the Hollywood Bowl, with a much more intimate vibe. There's plenty of outdoor seating and the general-admission grass lawn above the reserved seating gives lawn ticketholders freedom to move around, dance, picnic and bundle up in blankets.
The amphitheater has a wide range of concerts for everyone's music tastes. It's the summertime home to Pacific Symphony Orchestra and is the annual site of KROQ's Weenie Roast and Christian music event Fish Fest. Lots of family friendly fun is to be had at the Verizon Amphitheater during events such as the recent Pixar Pacific Symphony. Concert goers brought all kinds of family picnics: drinks, foods, blankets, lawn chairs, etc. But be warned - some events will have strict enforcement, not allowing outside items to be brought into the venue. For example, at the recent John Mayer concert restricts were tight: one water bottle per person, no chairs, food or blankets.
- Arrive early and park near the parking lot exit if you want to get out quickly, although you'll have to do some walking to get to the theater.
- Check the website to see what items are allowable, then call to verify.
- Bring a jacket. It can get chilly, even in the summer months.
- Use the restroom facility early to avoid long lines.
- Ladies, wear comfy shoes. There's a small hike from the parking lot to your seats, so don't wear heels for this date night. Definitely, break out those cute flats. It's a half mile from the entrance gates of the Amphitheater to the seating area. Trams are available for those who have difficulties walking, but make sure to allow additional time for tram lines.
Wednesday, Aug 28 7:30 PM
Saturday, Aug 31 8:00 PM
Sunday, Sep 1 7:00 PM
Friday, Sep 6 7:30 PM
Saturday, Sep 7 7:00 PM
Friday, Sep 13 2:00 PM
Saturday, Sep 14 7:00 PM
Sunday, Sep 15 5:00 PM
Saturday, Sep 21 12:00 PM
Friday, Oct 4 7:00 PM
Saturday, Oct 12 5:30 PM
Address and Contact Information
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
8808 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
Recorded Info: (949) 855-6111
Box Office: (714) 755-5799
Terry Winkler is an OC native, who loves sharing all the great things Irvine and Orange County has to offer and is the founder of Enter Stage Write an OC theater blog.